Back when I was 15 working at at my local YMCA I’d finish each workout with an A & W Papa Burger Combo. In University I knocked down 500ml of Chocolate milk (crazy po’ like a mofo). Then I graduated, started personal training, and moved back home with my parents. Feeling rich I split my post-workout meals into either a Subway sammy or Chipotle burrito bowl.
I don’t live at home and in the past year have spent a lot of dough. The Personal Trainer Development Center, jonathangoodman.ca and my upcoming book have sapped my funds. Lucky for you I devised a wicked ninja recipe for chili that’s great food to eat after a workout. It’s cheap and healthy.
- 3 cans of beans (wax, white kidney, and black beans) – $3.89
- Family pack of beef- $10.40
- Taco seasoning – $1.39
- Frozen spinach – $1.29
- Celery stalk – $0.99
- 2 packets of mushrooms – $2.89
- 1 can of crushed tomato and 1 can of tomato paste (not for pizza but are they still healthy?) – $2.56
- 1 onion – $0.79
- Spices (cinnamon, pepper, basil, turmeric, garlic powder) – $0. Sister and brother in law gave me all of their doubles *fist pump*
Total cost = $20.31 for 8-10 servings
So when I’m looking for food to eat after a workout I can either have 1.5 subway sammies, 1.5 burrito bowls, 8 gallons of chocolate milk, or 8-10 servings of super awesome astonishing awe-inspiring amazing wondrous and mind-blowing chili (props to thesaurus.com)
Just because I love you guys I’m going to lay down the super-secret, ninja, never-before seen recipe for you. It’s taken me 5 years to put this recipe together and I’ve spent more than $10 000 in cook books, wasted food, and nutrition books to put it together. I’m in a good mood so I’m giving it to you guys for free. All you have to do is add me on Facebook. (How’s that for a value proposition?)
Chop your veg.
I’d put a video of my ninja-vegetable cutting skills but it doesn’t exist. When Jon Goodman cuts veggies no camara is fast enough to catch all the action.
Put on coffee. A nice Sunday afternoon brew
Ninja tip #1: Don’t run the microwave and coffee machine at the same time. It’ll short your circuit.
Start cooking the meat
Ninja tip #2: Keep chopping the meat as fine as possible in the skillet and don’t cook fully through. I use seasoning but don’t suggest it unless you like chemicals.
Open beans, wash them, and put them in the slow cooker
Ninja tip #3: If you’ve been training grip for the last month. Go easy on the can opener of you’ll break it.
Microwave spinach. I use frozen chopped because it’s cheaper. 8 min will do.
Ninja tip #4: Don’t burn your hand on the hot bowl… twice
Dump cooked meat into slow cooker and sautee veg in the same skillet so you don’t loose the greasy goodness left behind from the meat.
Dump sauteed veg into slow cooker, spice and bring to a boil. Once boiling let simmer for a couple hours. (Note that you can also do this with a pot).
Pack all the food up to eat after a workout during the week.
Ok, put down your arms!
I’ll answer all your questions about what food to eat after a workout now:
1. Is this healthy? Probably.
2. How much meat should I put in? I’ve never measured but if I had to venture a guess I’d say a shitload.
3. What music should I listen to when making it? Great question! It’s important to get in the mood. Here’s some of my favorite work out tracks. Today I was listening to Jay Z.
4. Why are you a ninja? Because I read a book that told me to use words like super-secret and ninja in order to get people interested in my stuff.
5. How do you choose which veggies to use? Hmm, it’s gotta be my ninja sense. That and whatever’s going bad in my fridge.
6. Why turmeric and cinnamon? My brother in law’s Indian and gave me his spices. I had turmeric sitting around. Then I found out it was a great anti-inflammatory agent. Figured which I was anti-inflamming myself I’l throw in some cinnamon too.
7. How do I know when it’s done? When you feel your stomach growl.
8. Can I use red kidney beans instead of white kidney beans? Really. You actually had to ask that? That’s it. No more questions.
Comment and share this post or I’m going to get my super secret ninja friends to come after you